AUTOMAIN will advance the state-of-the-art in railway maintenance in five key areas:
- Innovation 1: A new methodology for analysing and optimising maintenance processes by applying best practice from other industries;
- Innovation 2: Higher speed infrastructure inspection methods;
- Innovation 3: Higher speed track maintenance methods;
- Innovation 4: Modular infrastructure inspection methods;
- Innovation 5: The improvement of automatic maintenance scheduling and planning systems, which focus on scheduling maintenance around the timetable, so as to reduce disruption to scheduled traffic and to increase useful capacity.